Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Excerpt from Young Adult Hip-Hop Fiction Novel Got the Flow: The Hip-Hop Diary of a Young Rapper


 “They’re not all thugs!” I countered Mrs. Hass one day. I was gettin’ mad.

“Sure they are. They just rap about drugs, violence, and have no respect for women.”

“Which rappers are you referring to in particular?” I asked knowing a few she might say.

“All of them! I’ve never heard an intelligent rap, much less an intelligent rapper. They call it rap because it’s Ridiculous Attempts at Poetry. R-A-P.”

I thought long and hard about someone that didn’t rap about those negative things. I couldn’t think of one rapper that didn’t mention those things, or at least implied them in their songs. It was a sad truth; not because they were rapping about it, but because their lives were drowned in those things.

“They’re just rapping about their reality; that’s what they know. Mr. Salas says that a good writer writes about what he knows.”

“Whatever Mr. Salas does in his class is his business,” she shot back.

“It’s not his fault you’re too stupid to understand rap music.”

Mrs. Hass turned around with her eyes opened wide. “What did you just say to me?” she scowled.

“I didn’t stutter.” I knew I was in trouble.

“That’s what I thought you said. You can’t go around insulting people that are smarter and older than you.”

“Just cause you’re older than me doesn’t necessarily make you smarter, Ma’am,” I stated in my most matter-of-factly, respectful tone.

“You need to respect your elders and teachers, Troy Jones.”

“Respect is earned and cannot be demanded from someone, Mrs. Linda Hass.”

With that she quickly walked to her desk, phoned the principal, and asked that I be removed from her class because of “a severely inappropriate classroom disruption”.

Within a minute, the hall monitor, a middle-aged, brawny man stood at the door of the classroom and waved me over to him. He didn’t know me but knew that by waving to the entire class he would get the guilty student. I stood up, grabbed my bag, and started walking toward him.

As I stepped out of the classroom, I said, “Have a nice day, Mrs. Hass,” and walked out.


(End of excerpt. Complete book available at Amazon, Smashwords, Goodreads, and TeachersPayTeachers.)

https://www.amazon.com/Got-Flow-Hip-Hop-Diary-Rapper-ebook/dp/B0749XWZYN/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

No comments:

Post a Comment